Frontier Technology Corporation has extensive experience in neutron radiation shielding, offering custom neutron shielding walls that provide reliable protection from harmful radiation.
The Challenge of Neutron Radiation Shielding
Because neutron radiation endangers the people, structures, devices, and equipment exposed to it, reliable neutron shielding protection is critical. Specially designed shielding walls are used in nuclear power facilities, nuclear medicine systems, radioisotope projects, or particle accelerator work.
Neutrons have neither a positive nor a negative charge, resulting in a wide range of energy and mass levels that must be blocked. Dense materials, such as lead, are less effective at blocking neutron radiation because neutrons are uncharged and can easily pass through dense material.
WEP for Superior Neutron Shielding
In contrast, hydrogen and hydrogen-based materials, such as water and water-extended polyester (WEP), are preferable for neutron shielding. This is because compounds with a high concentration of hydrogen atoms act as reliable barriers and provide inexpensive yet reliable shielding.
Frontier’s shielding walls incorporate materials made of low-atomic-number elements because they have a high probability of forming cross-sections that interact with the neutrons.
Neutron Shielding Walls from Frontier
Frontier’s WEP resin is an ideal material for neutron radiation shielding because it:
- Is easily prepared: unsaturated polyester resins readily emulsify with water
- Has a high water content
- Resists fire
- Has a mechanical strength between those of wood and concrete
- Has a hydrogen content compared to that of water, also an effective shielding material
- Can be used in harsh environments
Our shielding walls are custom manufactured to your requirements, are constructed with stainless steel outer materials, and contain WEP inner material. Options include:
- Up to 12 inches in neutron shielding thickness
- Up to 8 feet high
- Up to 6 feet wide
- Isotope pass-through ports
Frontier can also use WEP to fill shielding walls that our customers have designed and supplied to us.
Our manufacturing capabilities and provisions include:
- Volumes ranging from prototypes through production-scale levels
- Lead times typically between eight and fourteen weeks
- Void volume and meter testing services included
- National Institute of Standards and Technology traceability, as well as our own
- In-house quality assurance process
- Full-service neutron shielding wall support including documentation, integration, project management, reverse engineering, and technical support
Our shielding walls meet industry standards including 10CFR50 Appendix B, IAEA Special Form Certification, U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) and U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (USNRC) regulations, NIST-traceable requirements, and ISO 2919.
Frontier for Neutron Shielding Walls
To discuss how our neutron radiation shielding walls can help protect against neutron radiation damage in your application, please contact us today.
Custom Shielding Walls Capabilities
Filled WEP (Water-extended polyester)
Up to 12 in.
Up to 8 ft.
Up to 6 ft.
Isotope Pass-Thru Ports
Based on Inventory and Scheduling
Expedited Services Available
Bulk Material (Coal/Cement) Analysis
Oil Well Logging
Homeland Security (Border Crossings/Airports)
Cf-252 Neutron Sources
Type-A Casks and Shipping Containers
Reactor Start-Up Rods
10CFR50 Appendix B
IAEA Special Form Certification
U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT)
U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (USNRC)